Kenwood TS-850: PLL problem
A good friend gave me as a gift a Kenwood TS-850S/AT, my rig-dream when 16.
This rtx has been off for 12 years in his basement…it has the classic problem to the PLL: sends the morse code “UL” via the speaker and shows only dots on the display.
I’ve found a problem that is probably cause of the malfunctioning: on the board “Car unit (X50-3140-001)” there are 11 electrolytic capacitors and some of them leaks the electrolyte (boric acid) starting the process of corrosion of the tracks.
I hope to be on time and none of the “DDS-impossible-to-find ” be dead, meantime I’ve ordered new Tantalium capacitors, updates in the next post.
[UPDATE]: Board cleaned with chlorothene, installed new caps…problem solved, the rig is back to life :-)
Here some pictures of the board (click on it to enlarge) :